Bro-hang:
There is a big difference between Bangalore being "western" and being perhaps the "most westernized Indian city". India is a developing country, and Bangalore is moving fast; too fast to keep up with itself. Infrastructure just isn't here. Sanitation is pre-1920s, and I saw a little taking a dump by the side of a busy road (for ALL to see). Yet there are huge glass/steel building, shopping malls, and cell phones. I'm going to Calcutta (Kolkata) May 22-23...we'll see if there's a difference.
Yes, Big Macs are here (haven't seen a Burger King), but I have not been inside. They use beef in some places. Lamb and chicken are the more popular meats. Subway uses chicken meatballs. In the States you have to ask for Vegetarian meals; here you ask for "non-Veg". The beef isn't as good as State-side, and some of the lamb has bone and hoof ( I think). So, my diet has turned mostly veg (the Horror!), and fruit (akin to back in my Produce days). I'm getting used to spicy foods, but slowly.
Almost everyday I stop by a corner shop on the way home and grab an ice-cream stick, with hard chocolate shell, for about 15 rupees. Heat wave, I tell ya.
There was a cyclone of the coast of Chennai last night. We got some much wanted rain and it cooled down a bit. Monsoon should be soon....
No comments:
Post a Comment