Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Home Shopping

I've begun the task of apartment hunting. To do so requires more than a phone, internet or just walking around calling numbers on signs placed in yards. You have to get a couple agents to take you to places in the area (on a two-wheeler: moped, scooter, motorcycle), with no helmet in this crazy traffic. One dude looked like a character from a Sinbad movie (the sailor, not the comedian). Big, hairy, held a scimitar. Nice guy though.
Anyway, haven't found anything yet. Saw a nice place today though. Furnished! Which is a relative term, depending on who is using it. Unfurnished means nothing--no light fixtures, fridge, stove, ceiling fan...nada. I try to say away from those.
I'm going to live with a co-worker, who's from DC. She's living as a PG now (paying guest) and doesn't like moving, but wants to. So we're looking at 2 bedrooms; perhaps 3 rooms.
Overall the places themselves are relatively clean. Indians take pride in having clean homes; but they just take all their trash and dump it out the window. A lack of civic duty I guess.
I've thrown my apartment hunting net quite wide with a range of agents from friends of friends. I'm using Detgen's guy tomorrow; hopefully he'll score me a place like hers for 500K rupees less/month. That would be cool.
Anyway....

No comments: