It was really quite an experience watching the election results come early Wednesday morning. I went to a 'watch party' at a hotel downtown at 7am. We had a nice buffet breakfast and saw Obama win Pennsylvania, Virginia, then Ohio, Florida and at 9:30 the White House. People cheered, although there were few Americans. The excitement was high, and people popped open champagne and guzzled beer. TV crews were there from India, CNN and NDTV. I was interviewed by the Deccan Herald (local paper). Quite a buzz.
McCain's speech was great. His audience upset. We listened to him and applauded.
Obama's speech was fantastic. He received many ovations. I've never been more excited about a president elect. I hope he does well and think he will. The opposition lining up for a long fight, but Obama's promise to listen to them might remove their venom.
I was at that hotel all day. When I walked outside, it was like stepping into the Twilight Zone; nobody outside the hotel knew or much less cared about the election. I could feel the isolation and remoteness of this place. Nobody really cared too much.
3 comments:
Did you get to vote? I didn't know if you filled out an absentee ballot or whatever. I thought it was interesting that Virginia was the state to put Obama past the required 270 electoral votes, considering Virginia was pretty much the starting place of the Civil War and was the Confederate capital.
Did you get to vote? I didn't know if you filled out an absentee ballot or whatever. I thought it was interesting that Virginia was the state to put Obama past the required 270 electoral votes, considering Virginia was pretty much the starting place of the Civil War and was the Confederate capital.
Yes, I voted in Colorado via absentee. It was a hassle and I'll never do it again! Not sure about the Virginia thing. It seems that it was Florida or Ohio that pushed him over. I'll send you an email about the Civil War, my brotha...
Post a Comment