Ok, so month 8 is gone and nine is under way. The weather has finally broke and there is sunshine and nice, cool weather (around 80 high). It's quite nice, really.
Lots to update, but it would take too long. Work is busy and I'm moving more into consulting and out of sales, although I'm still involved there.
October is chalk full of Indian holidays. The most recent was Diwali, when, as far as I can tell, you are required to explode firecrackers (crackers as they're called here) all the time and they MUST be loud. I mean, loud. The US ain't got nothing on this loudness. Amazing. Scary...
But what's really scary are two situations. The terrorist bombings in the north are getting bigger and better coordinated. India has many many ethnicities (?), and they all clash it seems, especially when combined with religion.
The second thing is the BJP, ruling party of Karnataka. Hindu fundamentalists. They have two recent requirements. Saturday Nov. 1st is a holiday for the state and all private and industrial factories MUST celebrate it. Must. Odd. Two: all shops, stores, business that have signs posted as advertisement or notice MUST be written in Kannada by the first of the year, and the Kannada text MUST be the first one listed. A Rs. 10,000 fine is levied (which only means the cops have one more excuse to accept bribes).
Scary times.
No comments:
Post a Comment