Monday, November 17, 2008

Bollywood

Well, to say that Bollywood films are unique is an understatement. Actually, the cinema experience is a bit different from the US in several ways:
Reserved seating. You pick your seats when you purchase a ticket. Good in some ways.
"Gold" seating is in the back row, elevated a bit higher, and leather (?) recliners. Nice
National Anthem is played prior to the main show. We stand, some sing (it's in Hindi (?) I think). Kinda cool.
Intermission ("interval") about 60% through the movie, no length requirement. Again, odd, but nice if you need to tinkle. Kinda ruins the 007 chase scene. And when it comes back to the movie they show commercials before resuming.

Bollywood: Ok, these films are unique. I saw "Heroes" the other night. It was in Hindi, no subtitles, which is itself a unique experience as you have to follow what's going on through actions. Now, with Bollywood, they like to dance. In the (seemingly) oddest scenes they break into Michael Jackson Thriller-like dance performances. Very lively. Not sure if they fit with the story.

"Heroes" was about two underachieving journalism students who needed to complete a special assignment. This assignment was to deliver letters written by fallen soldiers to their survived addressee....and film their reaction and interview. I think.
One scene made me laugh out loud: After delivering some letters and experiencing some gut wrenching reactions, one guy makes a decision. They are in N. India, high desert mountains, a cold, clear river flowing by them. This dude, sitting down, gets this look. He stands up triumphantly, hikes up the length of his jeans to his knees, marches over to the river ignoring everything else in the world. A determined look. He bends forward a bit, staring the water down in a "high-noon" fashion. Cups his hands as if to purify himself. Waits. Splashes his hands into the water with lightning reflexes and....pulls out a fish. Hmmm.. Holds it high, and lets it go. Cut to next scene. I laughed my ass off (obviously I hadn't a clue what he was doing).

Anyway, it was a 3 hour movie, with interval. Almost boring, but I didn't speak the language. Interesting.

No comments: