Monday, December 30, 2019

It's a long one....

Ok, a lot has happened in the past two weeks or so.

First, of course, the Mumbai attacks. Needless to point out the atrocity et al. I'll speak about the reactions I see. Anger at Pakistan, Indian officials, Muslims and the military. Hardly any anger, I see, directed towards the attackers. Odd. But I see the same as I did after 9/11. Why didn't the gov't stop them? Why was security lax? Why didn't the hotels have enough warning/security? When is India going to punish Pakistan? blah blah blah. Some interesting questions, but I fear they aren't very good. It didn't help the US to ask such questions in 2001. But I digress.
A big fear is retaliation, not only by the Indian military but by Hindu fundamentalists or Indian ultra-nationalists. It seems India is now in the midst of political scenario that it's not used to, which is scary. Any action they take will have international consequences, which means the need to think about others is very salient...and alien. They also have to think about others' reactions to them. Security forces in India are, from what I've seen, porous, weak and outdated. WWII rifles don't stand a chance against even a 20 year old Kalashnikova 47. Walking through beeping metal detectors at hotels, restaurants, etc is pointless. Do something when it beeps...maybe.
Anyway, security is what it is. I'm not concerned any more than I was in 2001. Can't be, really.

OK, Jethro Tull

No comments: