So, I have not written in a while. This is a cut and paste blog from various writings.
The thing that is most upsetting about the Mumbai attacks is the simmering of tensions between India/Pakistan, between Indian public and gov't, and between Hindus and Muslims. While the deaths during the attacks are tragic, more deaths seem to be in wait if this simmering turns into an uncontrollable boil. Military action, demand of arrests, handing over of prisoners....sounds like pre-WWI. Will India use military to strike culprits of the attacks? If so, who would respond, and how? Would China seize the opportunity to strike Pakistan as well? What would the US, Iran, Russia do?
My reaction to the news was of disdain. "Shit, not again". My reaction to the reactions of some Indians was about the same. "Wait, hold on a sec...ah, crap"
There is a lot of anger and historical tension.
India is on the moon. Great for India.
I'm leaving India. The time has come for me to bid farewell to Meta-Culture and India. A lot has happened in 10 months, and I do not regret coming here. Financial and health considerations top the long list of reasons to leave. I've learned a lot about myself, India, conflict resolution and how we sometimes take things for granted. Perhaps I'll come back. Perhaps I'll enjoy the US more, and travel more.
My plan is to return to the States in January. Job? nope, not yet. I need to rest and gain back some weight. Eat protein and restore some memory capacities. And watch the Super Bowl...
No comments:
Post a Comment